We are a friendly, family-run hotel situated in one of the most picturesque villages in Fife. Aberdour is on the north shore of the Firth of Forth River in Central Scotland. Scott & Iona Wilkinson are the new owners and took over in July 2007.
Although our buildings date back to the 17th century, all our newly refurbished sixteen bedrooms have en-suite facilities, tea/coffee makers, hair-dryers, television and direct-dial telephones. In the days before railways and the motor car the Aberdour Hotel was a staging-post for stage coaches and so has a courtyard and stable block. The courtyard is now our car park and the stable block has been converted into five bedrooms, two at ground level affording wheelchair access from the car park. We specialise in traditional cooking using fresh local produce whenever possible and have a daily "Chef's Specials Board" to compliment our popular menu.
Breakfast and evening meals are served in the Mortimer's Deep Restaurant within the hotel. Our restaurant is named after the deep channel that lies between the village of Aberdour and the island of Inchcolm. Mortimer was Sir Allen De Mortimer who acquired through marriage the castle, the lands and the Barony of Aberdour in 1126 AD. Sir Allen's wish was to be buried in the church on Inchcolm Island but this was not to be. The monks who were carrying his coffin of lead threw him overboard and the stretch of water has been known as Mortimers Deep ever since.
Our well-stocked bar has a coal fire in the winter and always a warm welcome from our friendly staff and the "locals." We are proud to announce that once again we are featured in the latest CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) Good Beer Guide. Being close to the home of golf - St. Andrews is only 35 miles away - golf courses are plentiful. There are 100 courses within about an hours drive of the village and the area has all types of courses to suit all standards of golfers.
The Aberdour Hotel is also on the Fife Coastal path; ramblers and cyclists are welcome. Fife is a wonderful area to visit, with many old harbour villages along the north shore of the Firth of Forth. Aberdour is one such village, with several old structures: St. Fillan's Church in existence in 1123 and still used today; Aberdour Castle built around 1200 by the Mortimer family and now in the care of Historic Scotland; the Old Stone Pier built in the 1700's and the Victorian Railway Station built in the late nineteenth century to cater for rail traffic using the famous Forth Rail Bridge.
Just off-shore is Inchcolm Island, site of the best preserved monastic buildings in Scotland and aptly likened to the isle of Iona. Within easy reach are the fishing villages of the 'East Neuk' of Fife, the wonderful Falkland Palace and, of course, the many attractions of our capital city - Edinburgh - which is easily reached from the hotel being only 30 minutes away by rail/car.